Scanning Guide

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by avelys, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. avelys

avelys Admin
    Staff Member

I was very blessed to receive some scanning guidance from my senpai in Stiletto Heels. Here is a quick tutorial on scanning that I found extremely informative. I received permission from Lilanar, editor of Stiletto who said I was free to share her guide.

First and foremost, I'll divide this post into two parts. Part 1 will focus on how to prepare the scans (written by me) and part 2 will focus on the after scanning (written by Lilanar). Her guide will be mainly based for tank scans, as her group uses those predominantly.

phanzanu likes this.
  2. avelys

avelys Admin
    Staff Member

PART 1

(Pending)

3. avelys

avelys Admin
    Staff Member

PART 2

We will be using these files as samples.

First a little about image Histogram for black & white(grayscale) pages. The Histogram shows the distribution of tonal values from pure black #0 (far left) to pure white #255 (far right), just like the gradient that you can see below the histogram.

So now look at this example.

[​IMG]

The distribution of the pixels' tonal range clearly shows that there's so little pure black pixels on the page. If I move the arrow from left and place it under the left spike where the darkest tones start, the arrow will be around #50. This shows the scan is very dusty on black that we have almost no pure black on the page at all.
    This histogram also shows the dust on white. No pure white, in other words, this scan is so dusty that it's almost gray.

Now this one:

[​IMG]

You can see the spike on the right side that indicates the pure white on this page. Very easily you can tell the page is dust free on white but dusty on black. No Pure black pixels on the left side.

Now a perfect histogram:

[​IMG]

Editors' dream!! Almost no dust on both black and white. You can see how nice the pixels are distributed.

Now with all that in mind take a look at your own samples. I excluded the ones under PHOTO settings of course. DL LINK

001: Sample Home Magazine >> As you can see clean on white but very dusty on black.
    002: Sample Home Magazine v2 >> Perfect histogram and sharp.

005: Pro Document >> Again Perfect Histogram and a little blurry.
    006: Pro Document v2 >> Dusty on both white and black.

There's also another sample in the folder from the new scans of this chapter that I checked the histogram on it. So with that I'm 99% sure that these scans are under the settings for the first sample (Home Magazine) so they're clean on white but dusty on black. And the scans for chapter 2 and 3 are under "Home Magazine V2" Settings. I don't know what's the mystery behind version 2 but it's surely better than the other one.

Both "Pro Document" and "Home Magazine v2" are very nice and clean and easy to edit. Well with your scanner, I personally would choose "Home Magazine v2" and when editing, I would resize the pages in 2-steps to reduce the sharpness. That's how I cleaned chapter 2 if you guys want to check the outcome. It seems the "pro document" settings for your scanner makes the pages a little blurry.